Biodegradable and Compostable*
- Waxed paper packaging is organic and inherently biodegradable1). Both paper and wax decompose at the same as leaves in a forest2).
- A recent study commissioned by EuroWaxPack shows that a wide range of wax coated papers (covering the majority of waxed paper applications) are industrially-compostable. The material fulfills the 90% relative biodegradability requirement of EN 13432 (2000)3).
- The French converter organisation Micropap® received, in 2012, OK Compost certification from Vinçotte4) for paper-based meat and cheese wrappers coated with either vegetable or mineral wax.
1) Drs. A.O. Hanstveit, TNO, The Netherlands, 'Inherent biodegradability of waxes', commissioned by European Wax Federation, Brussels, 1991
2) Drs. A.O. Hanstveit, TNO, The Netherlands, 'Fate of waxed paper materials in a woodland litter layer', commissioned by European Wax Federation, Brussels, 1991
3) B. De Wilde, OWS Organic Waste Systems, Belgium, 'Compostability testing program on wax coated paper', commissioned by EuroWaxPack, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2012
4) AIB Vinçotte, 'Certificat d'octroi et d'usage de la marque de conformité 'OK Compost' Nº O 12-789-A and 12-790-A', Brussels, Belgium, 2012
*There are many different waxed paper specifications suitable for use across a wide range of applications. To ascertain whether the statements on biodegradability, compostability and recyclability are applicable for you, please contact EuroWaxPack (www.eurowaxpack.org).